Saturday, January 15, 2011

Sick Kid

Last Monday, about 3 in the afternoon, Ethan started vomiting like no little boy I had ever seen in my life. I have not even seen grown men vomit as much as this little boy did. As much as I was hoping for a single solitary incident, I was proven wrong when the vomited continued into the evening, overnight and all the next day.

He seemed immediately dehydrated but could not keep ANYTHING down, even ice chips. We were up all night, mostly on the couch, trying to keep stuff down.

The next day was not much better. By that afternoon, there was nothing left in his stomach to throw up but he still had a lot of diarrhea. And it was so bad, I had to put him back in pull ups because he just kept having accidents. By that night, he started spiking a temp of 102. I decided he needed to go the doc the next morning.

The office got him in at 9:30. I was really glad I didn't wait the standard 3 days. They started an IV on him and gave him 400 cc of fluid. They also drew some blood work, then came to get some more because they wanted to culture blood all night.

I am not one who likes my kids on antibiotics unless they absolutely need it. The resistance people are having to antibiotics today are, in part, due to over prescribing antibiotics. It turns out he had NO bacterial infection and did not need antibiotics so good call Ang!

Thursday we went back to the doctor for more fluids and for more lab. He had perked up some but will still pretty weak. He started drinking more but still had the diarrhea. That was the first night we really got a good nights rest.

Friday was even better but I still kept him home from school because he was still easily tired and had missed all week anyway. What was one more day. By Saturday, he was back to normal.

Rough rough week but he is back to normal now. I hate my kids being sick, like any mom.

No comments: