Monday, August 16, 2010

Tears...

It was a day full of emotion for this mama.

Ethan started Preschool through the Nixa school district today. His teacher is Miss Moneyham (aka Miss Lacey)She's a little bitty tiny thing and my first thought was Ethan was probably going to break her. She seemed really nice at orientation and I immediately liked her. He will be in the mobile unit behind the main street school. She said this was the last year they would have to use those and all classes would be in the building next year. Lunches are a knew thing for the preschool grades this year. I am curious how well he will eat.

When we left this morning, he did not want to wear his backpack. When we got there, I was relieved that he kept his name tag on (usually those come right off). However, he had a major meltdown when we left him and it was one of those times where I just had to ignore it and keep walking away. My worst drop off was coming up so that was more on my mind.

Emily has been stoked all summer about going back to school. However, last week, she started mentioning being apprehensive and nervous about starting kindergarden. We talked about how fun it was going to be, all the new friends she was going to make, all the books she was going to read, etc etc. She was excited about wearing her new clothes and shoes that we bought last week and sporting her new Barbie backpack. I thought it was going to be fine. Her teacher is Mrs Calhoun and Raquel said she was a great teacher.

When we got there and lined her up in the gym with all the other classes, I think the whole scene was a bit overwhelming for her. I was on the verge of tears the whole time but when I saw her trying not to be cry (so she could be a "big girl), I lost it. On went the sunglasses and trying to not appear to breaking down. Bert went over to try and comfort her but I couldn't do it for a few minutes. Finally I got it together enough to walk over and tell her she was a big girl and how proud I was of her in a unwavering voice. On the way to the gym door, Bert and I walked her hand in hand and she pulled herself together to be a big girl and walk down the hallway herself.

I said screw the meeting other parents thing and was out the side door. Bert came too, glasses ON, however he denied tearing up. Yea....right! haha.

So we went to Ziggy's for a celebration breakfast but I was horribly depressed. We laughed when I asked the waitress if she had boozed and then I felt somewhat better (no booze even). When we left, Bert realized he had a meeting and I went home and just relaxed, or tried to. I didn't know what to do with my kids home, or with someone I trusted.

I picked up Ethan at 11:30. He was unscathed and was mad his Dad wasn't with me. He colored his first picture today. He was cranky because he had to get up early so we sat on the couch for awhile to rest. He said he liked school and wanted to go back tomorrow.

We picked Emily up at 3:45 and Bert was home from his meeting and able to go. She LOVED school. No issues at all. She made me a hand print picture and was excited because she learned to draw a school bus. She met a girl, Treasure and said lunch was not too bad. As picky an eater she is, I fully expect school lunches to only last a couple of weeks before she wants to take her own.

So, I survived and so did they. I fixed everyone a fav for dinner and I've just been relaxing with them all night. Other than having to go to bed early, Emily is stoked about tomorrow.

No comments: