What a mess this last week has been. For anyone who did not know about this, we had a massive ice storm that started last Friday and continued off and on until Sunday. Here it is Wednesday and things are still not back to normal in Springfield and Nixa.
Our house was pretty lucky actually. Friday night, when it all started, we had no problems at all. Saturday morning I woke up and we had hardly any water and the phone was hit and miss. However, my power was still on which is 100% better than most of the people in Springfield and Nixa. Bert was working, which by the way got no ice or snow, so me and kiddos toughed it out drinking what was left of filtered water and boiling water to do dishes in. The house phone was out most of the day but no worries there as the cell phone worked just fine. In the afternoon, I got water back for awhile, but it went back to being barely more than a drip that night.
I also lost the internet on Saturday night. I wasn't really surprised and was happy it didn't go out sooner. However I had to sit and actually think what I did for fun before the internet. I started a new James Patterson book (Mary, Mary) and then went to bed.
Sunday I woke up and still had power, so yea on that. Water still sucked so I had Bert pick some up on his way home. By the time he got home with it, the water was back on and has been on since. Phone's were still messed up and my cell phone started acting up as well. My only guess is the cell towers were froze or something. I really don't know much about that stuff.
My sister and her husband came out for showers and cell phone recharging on Sunday too. They have been out of power since Friday night. We ended up loaning them our kerosine heater. I figured if we hadn't lost power by this time, we were going to be ok. Luckily, that was correct.
Monday, we actually got out as both Bert and I had dentist appointments at 9am. I was shocked at the amount of trees that were down everywhere. To look around this area, it's not like there's just foot after foot of ice and snow on the ground.....more like an inch or two. But, it was enough to wreck havock on the area, thats for sure. Surprisingly, the roads weren't slick at all.
Walmart was even closed this day, I guess because of power. They opened back up at 4 and Bert bought double, even triple, or what we go through in a week, just in case. Things like diapers, formula, etc. Bert went back to work on Tuesday so I guess he wanted to make sure we had everything we would need.
Tuesday came and all was normal, including internet again. Not so much at my sister's house. They were still without power and were getting low on kerosine. After not finding any, her and her husband, Matt, decided it was time to stay someplace warm. They spent the night Tuesday night and Kim stayed Wednesday night. It's been fun actually, even though I know she'd rather be at home.
So it's over a week since this all began and people in Springfield are still without power. I am so glad it didn't happen here at my house. We'd have been at a hotel for sure.
Kids are great! They weren't even aware of the weather. It was sure nice having Aunt Kim around last week while her power was out. Help with just one of them or keeping one entertained is sure a big help.
1 comment:
Awwww...I had the most fun! It took me a while to get out of my no power funk. There is no place I would have rather crashed for a week!
Post a Comment