Saturday, November 13, 2010

Goodbye SBU, Hello Excelsior


I've worked really hard to pull a plan together the past few years to have "RN" behind my name and figured the best route was through SBU. Unfortunately, that is not in the cards for me.

For starters, I did not score high enough of their entrance exams. Even though I scored in the 90s on the Fundamentals portion, I scored a 698 on the Pharmacology section. A 700 is required so that put me out of the consideration pile for the Spring Bridge program.

While devastated, I still emailed the Bridge Coordinator and asked if I could retake the test again to be considered for the Fall Bridge class. She curtly informs me she will check with the Director the following week when she returns to school. I never heard from her.

So, I've decided SBU is not going to work for me. It would be different if my experience with the Bridge Coordinator has been positive AT ALL. Unfortunately, it was not. While I was for-warned of this woman's attitude, I walked in with an open mind ready to bite my lip and just do what I had to do.

She is very condescending and not supportive at all. If it wasn't her condescending mass emails, it was just her general attitude, both by phone and in person. Why would I want to subject myself through training with that type of support system?

So Excelsior, here I come. I called and paperwork is on the way to get the ball rolling. I am not concerned about the online stuff at all. I spent the first 2 semesters at OTC doing nothing but online classes and always got excellent grades. I'm fairly certain they offer student loans and, I can continue to work and not have to try and coordinate a work schedule around seated classes. The only thing I will miss is the friendships that develop around seated classes. Maybe there is a internet forum out there I can join.

On the comical side, I should have expected this since Karma IS a bitch! I've given Brandon R. and Alana K so much crap about their paramedic education that it was eventually going to bite me in the rear....and it has.

No comments: