Sunday, October 15, 2006

Fruit Pizza and BarBQ's in October


I have a family BarBQ today down at my grandfather's farm. We usually try to have this once a year near the end of September when it starts to cool down. It originally started years ago in August to celebrate my grandfather's birthday but everyone was just miserable in the heat, so it's gotten later and later each year. It got bumped to October this year because of baby Ethan's arrival.

I spent half my life on this farm. My grandparents lived in the house that my grandmother grew up in. I remember it being a lot bigger as a child and it seems really small now. It's three stories with the kitchen/eating area in the walk-out basement, bathroom, living room and one bedroom on the middle floor and my aunt lives in the attic. It's basically unfinished still after all these years. Sheet rock still line the walls along with cherished pictures of grandkids and friends. I saw a old picture of it once and at one time, it was painted but since has worn off with time. I've got a picture of it somewhere around here and will post it if I can find it. It even still has a rock cellar, off the door to the basement, that kept their food cool back in the old day. Now, it has a real deep freeze though. Gotta stay up with the times ya know!

They did put water and electricity in it after moving there from their house in Billings. They pump their water in from a spring that is about a quarter of a mile from their house.

Terril Creek also runs through their property, right in front of their house. This forks with the above mentioned spring and we usually have our BarBQ's at that fork where the two creeks meet. After last Springs tornado though, the trees and brush have wiped out our grassy picnic area which is sad. I spent a lot of my childhood in that creek, finding cool rocks or catching crawdads. Actually, it seems I was never in the house. I was either running around in the creek or out in the pasture running around like I had a purpose.

So, I stayed up late making fruit pizza's for today. One for everyone to eat and a smaller one for my grandfather and aunt to munch on all week. He loves it and only gets it when I bring it to get-togethers.

Emily will have a ball running around. She loves to be outdoors and goes non-stop. And regardless of how cool it is today, she will have her creek shoes on and we'll see if she's brave enough to venture into the creek. Ethan will most likely sleep through the event. I'll have pictures later in the week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your kids and the pizza were the hit of the party! you always bring the best stuff!


that is a great pic. it is really hard to articulate how unique and special that place is.