We were stoked stoked stoked about school! Emily and I talked about it since yesterday and how much fun it would be with Miss Sheila. We got up this morning and was all excited again. Got on new clothes and fixed her hair in pig tails. Giggled all the way to the school and literally ran into the school once we got there (she was that excited).
But when we walked into Miss Sheila's office, Emily got all shy and wouldn't have anything to do with her. Miss Sheila had forewarned me this might happen and that it would be ok and much better for Emily if I can just step out and see if she calmed down.
So...on cue, I headed for the door, and Emily had a meltdown of epic proportions. As I shut the door, I saw Miss Sheila pick her up and give her a hug.
Then I went out to the parking lot and had a meltdown myself.
sigh
sigh
sigh
Ethan and I walked around the parking lot as I got myself composed. That 30 minute visit seemed to take forever. When it came time to pick her up, she gave me the biggest smile ever!
Miss Sheila said she did ok. She remembered about half way through their visit that I wasn't there and started crying again but they worked through it. She said they played a dog/bone game and also did bubbles. I was just ready to go home.
So I thought the whole bubbles thing was done to calm Emily down. After we talked, I realized it was to get her to say certain things. Before, when we did bubbles here at home, she never made any sounds. If I asked her if she wanted to go do bubbles, she would say "yes" (or nod) and make a blowing motion with her hands/mouth. Today, she came out with "popping bubbles" and "pants"...(like they popped on her pants) with serious emphases on the "P" sound. My guess is they worked on "P"'s today. I'm taking that as an improvement and that's gotta be worth my emotional stress today.
4 comments:
A huge step for you and her both! Everything will work out fine. It seems like just yesterday we went through the same thing with our daughter. She is 15 now!
Just wait until she wants to go to a sleep over or (gulp) on a date with a boy! Everything will be fine then, too. But it won't keep you from worrying...
WOW---it seems like yesterday I was taking Morrie to kindergarten and cried the entire time he was there. I sat with Jason and hugged him for hours----I am sure he was NOT that excited about it though!!! Morrie is now 33 years old!!!!! Unfortunately----I went through the EXACT same experience with Jason and Chris---gives you something to look forward to.
Oh what a big step for you both! It will only get better from here...I promise!
Way to go mom!!
Post a Comment