Friday, January 11, 2008

Manicotti (Warning...not safe for picky husbands)

So, I've really gotten into cooking and trying new things. Unfortunately, I've got picky eaters in my house so I scan the internet for recipes, then scale them down and fix them just for myself on days when Bert is gone. I've been on a manicotti fix here lately and this is the recipe I found on the internet:

MANICOTTI WITH CHEESE FILLING
Printed from COOKS.COM

8 ounces manicotti shells, uncooked
8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
15 ounces ricotta cheese, *drained
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
32 ounces spaghetti sauce
Cook manicotti according to package directions; drain. (Cool in single layer on wax paper or aluminum foil to prevent manicotti from sticking together). Combine cheeses, parsley, salt and pepper for filling; spoon into manicotti in single layer over sauce on bottom of 9x13-inch baking pan; arrange manicotti in single layer over sauce. Cover with remaining sauce. Cover with aluminum foil; bake at 350 F. for about 40 minutes.

Remove foil; bake 15 minutes longer. 6 to 8 servings.

Note: *Cottage cheese may be substituted.

Serving Size: 8


Here is my revised version:

  1. 4 manicotti shells, cooked until they are "almost" done
  2. One chicken breast, cooked in salt/pepper/garlic salt and diced into small pieces
  3. 6 oz mozerella cheese (I love mozerella)
  4. 4 Tbsp ricotta cheese
  5. 1/8 C grated Parmesan
  6. 2 Tbsp chopped parsley (I didn't half that from the original. Seeing the green in there makes me think I'm eating healthy) haha!
  7. salt/pepper to taste
  8. Favorite spaghetti sauce. I used Prego's Ricotta Parmesan for my last couple of batches.
Cook as directions above. This makes enough for a lunch and supper for me. It's pretty easy and tastes really good.

I learned the hard way not to cook the manicotti noodles all the way. It was really difficult (atleast for me) to manuever the filling in the shells...they just kept slicing apart. Also, use a fork to fill them as opposed to a spoon and use little bits at a time.

So there ya have it. Let me know if you try it, what you thought and any variations you might have.

No comments: