Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Little "Boobie"

I really gotta watch how I talk to Ethan. We have what I've come to call "lovy dovy" moments where I'll coo "Little Bubbie" and he'll cradle my face and give me kisses....over and over until I stop saying "Little Bubbie". Well, after saying "Little Bubbie" a few times, maybe the way I pronounce things change because I walked in today and Emily was cradling Ethan's face. Instead of saying "Little Bubbie"....it came out "Little Boobie". And as he reached up to cradle her face, she kept saying "Little Boobie", "Little Boobie", "awwwwwwwww", "Little Boobie".

She has absolutly no problem saying "HUSH BUBBIE", so I'm not sure where she got that! I DO KNOW she cannot grow up calling him "boobie". (sigh)

I also know he's an amazing little boy though. For one who was such a high maintenance baby, he sure has become independent in just a year. He is still one who does not eat unless he feeds himself and has gotten really good at using a fork (spoon is another story). People have told me he's very good at problem solving and after watching for awhile, he really is. He doesn't fuss when he can't figure something out, but fiddles with it until he can figure it out. He's even figured out he can get into cabinets with child proof latches by pushing on them a certain way.

And he's 10X's the climber Emily ever was. I pull him off the kitchen table about 15 times a day and twice that the coffee table and furniture. We're about 6 weeks away from introducing "time out" to him and I hope it works on him like it did Emily.

About the only time this little boy gets upset or mad is when Emily bullies him around. I have a feeling thats about to change though. Just in the last week, he's come at me twice like he is going to bite. I'm not quite sure what Emily will do when he starts fighting back. Could be a whole new level of parenting for me.

Our next milestone with him is breaking him from the "binky". He's a super binky boy. This is a new experience for me because Emily never took to one. I've decided we will loose the binky after our next trip to Iowa in a few weeks. I've had advice to just throw them away and let him deal with it and another told me to cut the tips off and let him figure it out when they don't work (saying "oops, it's broken"). Both seem like cruel and unusual punishment but I guess it's gotta happen. If anyone has any tips, drop me a line. Dr Fusco would be on my case big time if she knew. I was supposed to break him of it 3 months ago!

3 comments:

Misha said...

Awwww! Of course she can call him boobie! What a great story that is sure to embarass him over and over!

Anonymous said...

I have no bink advice but I know that you will nip it in the bud. You have handled every situation like this perfectly. This will only be a mild blip on the screen for you.

I can show him some footage of children with frontal lisps and jacked up teeth if you think that would help ween him? :-)

Linnie said...

Hummm---Have you ever heard the story of why Pete is not called by his real name---Scot? Like auntie, like niece!!!!!!! I Love it!!!