I wrote this two days before we left. I will update with pictures from Emily's 3rd birthday party in the next few days. I am buried beneath a pile of laundry and no end in sight!
Blog Update
I am writing from the cold and barren fields of Iowa. It is Monday and I am missing updating my blog so I thought I would on my laptop and just transfer it when I get home.
We got here in good time leaving Wednesday night around 7 pm and arriving in Remsen around 4 am. Emily and Ethan did not want to go back to sleep right away. Finally Emily did with me and Ethan did about daybreak with Bert.
Thursday was the first day of trying to acclimate to the messed up sleeping and traveling. Kids were kinda fussy but did pretty good. They opened up pretty fast and didn’t stay shy long. Thursday night was a different story. Emily slept fine, but Ethan was up at 2:30 am and would not go back to sleep. Not only Thursday night, but Friday and Sunday nights as well. Bert was a sweetheart and got up with him though. They ended up sleeping in the living room, Bert on the couch and Ethan on a blanket on the floor (the only place he would sleep).
Friday, I went and got both Emily and Ethan a pair of snow boots. We’ve not really had a reason to get them before now but there was about 2-3 inches of snow on the ground when we got here so I thought we might as well. Emily LOVED her pink Dora snow boots. Bert said we better go try them out that day because it wasn’t supposed to get above zero all weekend, so off we go. She loves the snow and the cold doesn’t bother her a bit. She got a little nervous when she dropped knee deep in a snow drift. It was hilarious.
The weekend got here and it was definitely too cold to go out and do much. Morrie, Alyssa and Bubba came and visited Saturday. Emily sure loves Morrie. Kalee came over for awhile but she had plans with friends for most of the day. She went shopping at a mall in Sioux city and also bought both Emily and Ethan a really cute outfit. She also bought Emily a sundress for this summer. She’ll look very cute. Saturday night, we feasted on King Crab Legs, baked potato, salad and garlic bread, all thanks to Uncle Chuck! He rocks!
Sunday, Jason, Jessica and Kaitlynn came to visit. Kaitlynn is getting to be such a young lady. She seems to grow by leaps and bounds between each visit out. Jessica has a wonderful “glow” about her and her baby girl will be here in about a month. They have decided on a name: Trinity Ann. I love it!
Monday got here and the weather was the worst ever. It blew and snowed about another 4-5 inches and is still falling now. We had made plans to got to Steve A’s house for dinner and a visit but decided the roads might be too bad. We snuggled in and had chili instead. I think the kids are getting a touch of cabin fever. Ethan especially. His days and nights are pretty much totally screwed up now and he’s fussy about that too. Travis and Dalton were a big help with the kids too. Emily loves playing with Travis and Ethan has really taken up with Dalton. I’m trying to talk Travis into moving to Missouri and being my live in Nanny, but he’s not sold on the idea (yet) haha!
Emily has been a sweetheart this trip though. It takes her a bit to warm up to people, but once she does, she’s the sweetest girl ever. She is repeating everything including “DUDE” and has started saying ‘GOODNESS’ every time she coughs. I was so worried about “going potty” while out here but she has had ZERO mistakes. I have even found her in the bathroom by herself on the toilet, without telling anyone she had to go. I put her to bed each night (we sleep in one bed) and run my fingers through her hair to calm her down. Every once in a while, she’ll stroke my face and say “nice mommy” or just “mommy”. It’s probably the best part of my day.
Tomorrow, we are having a little birthday party for Emily who turns 3 on Feb 15. We are also having a party for her in Missouri on the 17th at Chuck E Cheese. I didn’t plan very well and have been trying to plan and invite everyone while here in Iowa. Basically, I just had a lot going on up until we left and ran out of time. We’ve reserved the tables and I’ve had to get the word out by phone and text messaging. Now when we ask her about her birthday, she starts asking things: “birthday party?”, “birthday cake?”, “birthday hats?”, “birthday candles?”, “Chuck E Cheese?”. She gets so excited.
Ruth will be here tomorrow night too. She had to fly to Arizona as her mother passed away unrepentantly just before we came out. She’s had a rough week and I’m glad I’ll get to see her before we head back.
Aunt Linnie is the only one we didn’t get to see this trip out. She was here just a few weeks ago when Bert’s Dad was sick. Emily did talk to her briefly on the phone though and Ethan has been staying warm with the blanket she made him
Our plans were to leave for home on Wednesday night, leaving again around 7 pm. We might end up having to leave during the day if the weather is still yucky. Springfield had it worse than we did I hear, with ice and sleet. Day traveling is going to be rough with the kids but we’ll do it if we have to. Then I hear we having more ice and snow starting Thursday.
Well, everyone is asleep but me and Bert’s Dad. I think I better call it a night. Bert was a bit sneaky and fell asleep on the couch. Means I ‘might’ be on “Ethan duty” tonight.
2 comments:
Emily is so cute! I hope she has a great birthday!! Kudos to her for her potty success!!! I bet seeing her in knee deep snow was something! Hope Ethan gets back on sleep schedule so you can too! And try to dig your way out...one load at a time. I wanna see pictures!
All done with laundry? Come start on mine. Glad you guys are home safe!
Post a Comment