Monday, February 04, 2008

Safety Pins and Snotty Noses

Saturday night was a little scary. About midnight, Ethan woke up screaming in pain. Not whimpering or whining, but full blown screaming until he ran out of breath and his little body was shaking. I'd pick him up to try and console and it seemed like every moment caused even more pain. I'd sit him down on the floor and he would roll over in the fetal position and hold his tummy. I would touch his tummy and he'd scream and start hitting or pushing my hands away.

This went on for a FULL HOUR.

I tried to think about what it could be. All I could think about was the fact I found 2 safety pins in his room earlier that day. I have no idea where they came from or how many there were to begin with. Then I found one in the hallway too. I was convinced Ethan had eaten a couple handfulls of safety pins and they were tightly winding themselves around his intestines causing extreme pain.

So I called Bert at work and told him Ethan needed to go to the ER, but wanted him to come home and see what he thought first. He got relief and rushed home. By the time he got home, Ethan had made a complete turnaround. He stopped crying and started acting normal. I felt like a real bonehead by the time Bert got home but atleast if he did eat safety pins, they had released their grip.

So, the next day, Bert checked "output" and nothing came through. He played normal, acted normal, ate normal. I don't know what it was but it was my first near panic attack as a mommy.

We've also scathed through winter without any sickness. But here we are 2 days away from leaving for Iowa and both the kiddos have coughs and runny noses. Never fails eh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad he is okay! Will miss you while you are gone!

PW said...

I remember those days---you would swear they were dying, but it usually only gas pains or constipation.

Misha said...

Glad to hear boobie is fine. How scary!!