Monday, May 24, 2010

Barnes Hospital, St Louis

I've never been here as a family member, sitting in a waiting room for hours on end.

I used to come up here on a regular basis, bouncing through the ambulance entrance with a patient on the cot, walking aimlessly down hall and hall looking for the room the patient was to go to. I do not ever remember coming up here and not getting lost!

My Dad has been here since last Thursday night and had valve replacement surgery on Friday morning. His Dr was a Dr Moon and has a phenominal record in the medical community. His heart is week though and it took a little longer for him to recover than most. It is odd hearing family mebers talk about their loved one having heart transplant surgery and waking up way sooner than my Dad.

This hospital is awesome though. Sara was his day nurse and ___________ was his night nurse. Sara always took the time to explain what was going on and why they were doing everything and really made my mom, sister and I more relaxed by being super competent in her job.

Waiting room is typical waiting room, but everyone is very supportive. Everyone just really wants to tell their story and just wants someone to listen.

I've always said I would not like working in ICU but in truth, I can see where there is some awarding situations in the unit.

No comments: